The debate over whether Muslims should embrace “gay” marriage exposes the widening gap between culture and revelation.
Which flag is more Islamic?
How was that even a question?
Islam vs. “Muslims”
We’ve all heard- or made- the common excuse that there’s a difference between Islam and Muslims. Islam is the revealed way of life exemplified and legislated by Allah, His Messenger Muhammad (sA’a&s) and his companions (the Sahaaba).
Muslims are people who may or may not fall short in deed, but also, more importantly, in thought. Everyone’s ready to denounce murder and suicide as unIslamic- “Those people are not Muslims”- but those aren’t the only things people claiming to be Muslims do- and think- wrong.
Support for same-sex marriage, and same-sex relations in general- in the (supposedly) Muslim community is another example, and there are in fact many examples.
Let’s discuss it. Let’s also discuss the Islamic take on marriage, which obviously includes polygyny (multiple wives, polygamy actually means multiple spouses, which technically includes multiple husbands or wives).
The question, then, is “Can people oppose an Islamic practice and support a forbidden one, and still be Muslims?”
Why Do More “Muslims” Support Same-Sex Marriage than Polygyny?
Muslim (not Islamic) discussion on polygyny:
- “The Qur-an says you have to be just to all your wives, but you can never be just, so you can only have one wife, even though the Qur-an says you can have more than one wife.” (So Allah allowed and forbid something?)
- “Yes, the Sahaaba married more than one wife, but you are not like them.” (Is that a requirement?)
- “Ma sha Allah, be happy with what you have.” (Then why go to college or work?)
- “This is considered sinful in my culture.” (Is your culture a source of Shari’a?)
- “You brothers are too focused on sex.” (Polygyny isn’t about sex.)
- “If a man has two wives, he’s cheating on both of them. (Rasuulu-llaah was cheating on his wives? A’oothu bi-llaah!)
Muslim (not Islamic) discussion on same-sex marriage:
- “We have to be tolerant.” (What else should we tolerate? Thieves? Cheating spouses?)
- “How can we ask for rights for Palestinians if we don’t give rights to LBGTQI?” (Do LBGTQIs protest for others’ rights as a core tenet of their agenda?)
- “Islam means peace.” (Actually, it doesn’t. Check your Arabic.)
- “Islam is perfectly compatible with Western values.” (Which ones? Genocide? Capitalism?)
- “You can’t help who you love.” (Even if that includes more than one woman?)
- “The Qur-an didn’t specifically anal sex as a sin.” (The Hadiths do.)
- “It’s not our business.”
- “Islam teaches love.” (It teaches men and women to love each other.)
The Myth of the Cultural Muslim
What is Islam? Who is a Muslim?
Islam, according to the ‘Hadith of Jibreel’ is:
- The testimony that there is no deity but Allah, and Muhammad is Allah’s Messenger
- Charity from one’s wealth
- Fasting in Ramadan
- Hajj if one is able.
A Muslim is a person who makes said testimony, prays, gives, fasts and journeys accordingly, no more, no less. The label ‘Muslim’ is a descriptor, of a person who meets these conditions.
It’s not a descriptor of a culture, of a background, or a language group. It doesn’t matter who your grandparents (said they) were. It doesn’t matter if you’re from a country where the majority of the people claim to be Muslims. The only thing that matters is whether you meet the conditions. That alone qualifies you for the label.
In other words, Islam makes the Muslim, the Muslim does not make Islam.
We’ve got it all in reverse. We think that “I’m a Muslm, so whatever I say or do is Islam. It has to be, because I’m a Muslim.” This argument is not only backwards but circular.
Everything can be Islam. We are the ones who say “kun, fa ya kun, Be! and it becomes”. I say that this is Islam, and it is.
A’uuthu bi-llaah, this is shirk (polytheism, the other deity being ourselves in this case.
“And He (Allah) shares not his legislation with anyone” (Qur-an, Sura al-Kahf (18):26)
This is the position we put ourselves in when we oppose what Allah’s legislation, forbidding what He allows, and allowing what He forbids.
If you actually believe that anal sex, transvestism/gender reassignment/sex change and same-sex relationships are acceptable, read and respond to this.
Is this Islam?
- In the Arabian Peninsula and South Asia, males regularly hold hands, cuddle and fondle each other openly, especially at nighttime. The same behavior is rightly forbidden between males and females.
- In Pakistan, transvestites/cross-dressers brazenly demand charity and crash weddings.
- In Bahrain, men pay men, who are imported for this purpose, body-to-body oil massages legally, and obviously for sexual acts as well.
- In the Arabian Peninsula, children regularly perform sex acts on the campuses of segregated schools, with teachers often joining in as well.
- In Iran, 60% of rape victims are male, and an estimated 1/3 of males have sex with other males.
- In Afghanistan, effeminate dancing boys are a feature of male-only gatherings, and have been for centuries, a practice also common in the Ottoman
- In general, it is easier to find a partner of the same sex than a spouse, due to high dowry prices, and caste, skin color, tribal and class considerations.
- The homo-erotic (and, at times, alcoholic) poetry of Persian poets is celebrated and commemorated, even as vulgar hip-hop and rock music lyrics are rightly condemned.
Is this Islam?
A cultural Muslim is not a Muslim. He or she is a member of his or her culture. In fact, Islam exists because of culture- it’s there to solve it. Here is what “Muslim” culture really is:
- White Supremacy– “White”- more properly pale- skin is better. People who wear it are superior. We bleach our skin, make movie stars out of people who look nothing like the general population, and seek pale-skinned mates. We mock and hate dark-skinned people. Western culture and everything about it is superior. We pride ourselves on how well we can conform. When “white” people said beards were backward, we said beards were never part of Islam. When “white” hipsters made beards popular, we said beards were always part of Islam. We’re ashamed to say we’re Muslim until “white” people re-discover our contributions to their ‘civilization’. Let’s face it, half the reason we support gay marriage is because “white” people told us it is good.
- Homosexual tendencies– Homosexuality, pederasty, transvestism and hermaphrodism were mainstays of Persian, South Asian, Turkic and Southeast Asian cultures, and remained so after Islam arrived. The reasons many Muslims can connect with and relate to homosexuality now, is because they never really stopped. The only thing different about western culture is the invention of the “gay” identity- the lifestyle centered around one’s sexual preferences.
This is all well and good, as long as we don’t pretend that since we are claiming to be Muslims, everything we do is Islam. If you feel no shame, do whatever you wish. Those in the right are always in the minority, those who will say to the (supposed) Muslims who sell alcohol, deal in ribaa (usury, interest), support homosexuality, forbid polygyny, and put race, caste, skin color and wealth before piety and character:
“Our Lord is the Lord of the heavens and the earth. Never will we invoke besides Him any deity. We would have certainly spoken, then, an excessive transgression. These, our people, have taken besides Him deities. Why do they not bring for [worship of] them a clear authority? And who is more unjust than one who invents about Allah a lie?” (Qur-an, Sura al-Kahf (18): 14-15.
For those in the minority, take heart. This deen (paradigm) came as a stranger, and it will leave as a stranger. So take glad tidings of Allah’s pleasure if you feel like a stranger.
And peace be upon those who follow the guidance…